Whether you yearn for pretty pastels, sun-kissed balayage or the perfect shade of copper, Decesare is the go-to spot for wearable colour. But how do you keep your colour looking good between salon visits? A colour touch up every 8 weeks is ideal but not always possible so Michael shares his professional tips on keeping your colour looking its best and lasting longer…
1. Don’t wash hair immediately after your colour
Try not to wash your hair for at least 48 hours after a colour service, and when you do wash it, use lukewarm rather than hot water. Heat speeds up colour fade – the hotter the water the quicker the colour loss. So avoid swimming pools and saunas too for a week after your colour service if you possibly can.
2. Dry Shampoo preserves colour
Fact: the more you wash your hair the more your colour will fade.
But there’s an easy answer. Dry shampoo. It’s one of the most effective ways to preserve your colour as it stretches the time between those colour-sapping washes. It’s also quick and simple when you’re rushing to get out of the door in the morning.
My personal favourite is Philip Kingsley’s One More Day. Its scalp-friendly ingredients help keep flakes and irritation at bay while soaking up excess oil and plumps up hair. Perfect for festival hair too.
3. Rinsing out the colour
Talking of water, avoid excessive rinsing in the shower too. Relaxing as it is, don’t linger under the shower head with the water running over your head – it’s bad news for your colour.
4. Choose colour protecting hair products
I always advise my clients to use a colour-protecting shampoo and conditioner. There are lots on the market and our favourite is the Philip Kingsley Sun Solution range which is specifically formulated to reduce colour fade and dryness which makes a real difference.
Avoid harsh and anti-dandruff shampoos as these can strip the colour out.
5. Holidays are bad news for colour
Two weeks basking on a beach is good for the soul but can wreak havoc on your hair’s colour and condition.
So if you’re jetting off to sunny climes any time soon, here are my tips for protecting and preserving your colour:
- Always apply a sun protection barrier product and wear a hat on in the sun whenever you can to prevent harmful UV rays fading colour and causing dryness.
- Soak hair with clean fresh water before diving into the pool as wet hair absorbs less chlorine. Chlorine fades colour and can leave blonde shades with a greenish hue.
- Rinse thoroughly immediately you finish swimming and ideally wash with a specifically formulated chlorine shampoo.
- Don’t be tempted to spray lightening agents or put lemon juice in your hair.
- Pamper your hair with a deep moisturising treatment while you’re away. Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer works wonders on dry, brittle, faded hair that’s lost its swoosh. Use it once a week and your hair will soon be healthy, shiny and full of bounce.
- Before you fly, book a colour appointment immediately on your return so we can correct any colour deterioration before you need to face the world.
6. Olaplex: insurance for coloured hair
Olaplex is a revolutionary new service for coloured hair which repairs your tresses by linking broken bonds in the hair before, during and after chemical services Applied at the same time as your colour it leaves you with stronger, healthier hair and longer lasting colour.
It’s a real game changer. Ask your stylist about it when you’re next in salon.
7. Heat affects condition and colour
Before you reach for your straightening irons, hairdryer or curling tongs spray on a heat-protective product and guard against heat damage which dulls colour.
8. Regular trims
And finally, if you’re suffering from frizzy coloured hair? Regular trims remove frazzled coloured ends and keep hair looking healthy and silky.
Trust only the best with your colour: Milton Keynes’ colour specialists
Why not book a complimentary colour consultation with one of our colour specialists? We’ll chat through your hair condition, skin and eye tones and lifestyle then recommend the best answer for you.
Call 01908 281218 or…